1. Do not leave your Dyson cleaner with the plug
connected to a mains outlet – unplug when not in
use. Turn the cleaner off with the switch button
before removing from the mains outlet.
2. Always remove the plug from a mains outlet
before carrying out any maintenance. Do not
carry out any maintenance work on the cleaner
other than that outlined in this manual,
especially where electrical components are
3. Do not use without the clear bin assembly fitted
correctly and both filters in place.
4. Do not fit anything other than Dyson spare parts
(available on the Helpline on 01666 827272).
Use of non-Dyson parts could invalidate your
5. Do not continue to use the cleaner if any part
appears to be faulty, missing or damaged. In
these cases, contact the Dyson Helpline on
6. Do not put any part of the body, clothes or any
object near or into the openings or moving parts
of the machine. Do not use the machine with any
of the openings blocked with any object that may
restrict the airflow.
7. Do not pull on the supply cord, run over it or pull
it around sharp edges or near/over hot surfaces.
If damaged, call the Dyson Helpline. Do not
handle the cleaner or plug with wet hands.
8. Do not use the cleaner if the cord or plug are
damaged or if the cleaner has been damaged,
dropped or has come into contact with water or
any other liquid. In these cases, contact the
9. Do not use the cleaner to pick up water or any
other liquid. Electrical shocks could occur if used
outdoors or on wet surfaces.
10. Do not use the cleaner to pick up flammable or
combustible substances or hot ashes or burning
objects of any kind. Do not use near such
11. Do not work below the cleaner on the stairs.
12. Do not immerse the whole cleaner in water for
cleaning. The clear bin alone may be washed out
after emptying. Ensure this is completely dry
before using the cleaner again.
13. Static charge can occur in many ways and, when
vacuuming, certain carpets may generate small
static charges in the clear bin. These are entirely
harmless and are not associated with the mains
supply. To minimise any effect from this, do not
put your hand or insert any object into the clear
bin unless you have first emptied and rinsed out
the clear bin with water.
14. Cleaners with brush bars may mark the surface
of smooth floors.
15. Ensure that hands, feet and fingers, particularly
those of small children, are kept away from the
cleaner and especially from the brush bar.
16. Please note that the brush bar continues to turn
while the hose is in use – ensure that the cable is
clear of the machine during this operation and
that the cleaner is not placed near anything
which may come into contact with the brushbar.
17. Do not use the cleaner directly facing gas fires,
boilers or open fires, whether lit or unlit. Exhaust
air discharged at the front of the cleaner may
extinguish a gas fire or pilot light or disturb
ashes in an open fire. Always avoid directing the
cleaner towards naked flames.
Important safety instructions – please read before use
WHEN USING THE DYSON DCO1 VACUUM CLEANER PLEASE ADHERE TO THESE SIMPLE PRECAUTIONS.
BY DOING SO YOU WILL REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRICAL SHOCK OR INJURY.
Please read carefully before
assembling or using your
DCO1 vacuum cleaner.
DYSON CUSTOMER CARE
Helpline 01666 827272
Facsimile 01666 827298
Contact for all service assistance
00753-01 00746-01 21/11/97 REV 1